Education: Doctoral degree
Language: Chinese, English, Arabic, Turkish
Research Fields: Political economy of development, civil-military relation, state-business relation, Egypt, Turkey and Middle East studies.
Education and Work Background
- B.A. in Arabic Language and Literature, Shanghai International University, 2007-2011.
- M.A. in Arabic Language and Literature, Peking University, 2011-2014.
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Tsinghua University, 2014-2019.
- Academic fellowships:
- Visiting Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, USA, 2015.8-2016.6.
- Visiting Fellow, The School of Global Affairs and Public Policy, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 2017.3-2018.5.
- Teaching Fellow, Schwarzman College, Tsinghua University, 2019.10-2020.4.
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Humanities and Social Science, Uskudar University, Turkey, 2021.11-2022.10.
- Council Member, Chinese Society of African Historical Studies, 2022-2027.
- Academic Publication（2019.10-2023.01）
- Chair of National Social Science Fund’s young scholar project, “Civil-Military Relation of Egypt (1798-2013)”, Registration No. 21CSS028.
- Member of National Social Science Fund’s key project, “Research on China’s comprehensive diplomacy towards Arab states under the framework of China-Arab Cooperation Forum”, Registration No. 19AGJ010.
- Member of National Social Science Fund’s key project, “The political ramification of economic globalization turbulence and China’s coping strategy”, Registration No. 17ZDA169.
- Duan Jiuzhou, From Social Mediation to State-led model: The evolution of Egypt’s De-radicalization Policies, Arab World Studies (in Chinese), 2019(6):31-43. (CSSCI)
- Hao Shiyu & Duan Jiuzhou, Egypt’s Africa Policy since the Presidency of Sisi, West Asia and Africa (in Chinese), 2020(3):117-137. (CSSCI)
- Duan Jiuzhou, The ‘weak state’ predicament and the prospects of Egypt’s re-industrialization, Beijing Culture Review (in Chinese), 2020(5):146-155. (CSSCI)
- Duan Jiuzhou, The historical evolution and transformation of civil-military relation in Egypt, Middle East Studies (in Chinese), 2020(2):20-37. (CSSCI)
- Duan Jiuzhou, The Controversy and Bargaining behind Israel’s readmission to African Union, World Affairs (in Chinese), 2021(14):40-41
- Duan Jiuzhou, Behind the “historical” transformation of Egyptian Government, World Affairs (in Chinese), 2022(01):46-47.
- Duan Jiuzhou, ‘Military-domination’ Return to the Middle East: A New Round Responses to the State-Building Crisis, Beijing Culture Review (in Chinese), 2022(1):58-66. (CSSCI)
- Duan, Jiuzhou & She, Gangzheng.(2021). Initiative and Visions: Synergy between Development Strategies of China and the Arab States, Asian Journal of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies, Vol 2, Issue 4.（ESCI）
- Kahveci-Özgür, Hayriye & Duan, Jiuzhou (Corresponding author). China’s “Silky Involvement” in the Eastern Mediterranean: A geopolitical upper hand for Greece and Cyprus? , Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies, 2022 October. (SSCI)
- Duan Jiuzhou & Hao Shiyu, The Arabness of Middle East Affairs and Egypt-Turkey competitive relation, Journal of Arab Studies (in Chinese), 2022(2):59-75.（CSSCI）
- Duan, Jiuzhou. “Topic-driven Area Studies as Approach to Overcome Disciplinary Dilemma”, Area Studies (in Chinese), 2022 November.
- Duan, Jiuzhou (2020). “The Military Intervention of Egyptian Army During Social Crisis (1977-2013)”, edited by Yizhou Wang, Area Studies and Comparative Politics: New Questions and New Challenges (in Chinese), People’s Press in Shanghai.
- Duan, Jiuzhou (2021). “Egypt: Political Stability and Economic Recovery under geopolitical challenge”, edited by Zhibin Han & Wei Li, Situation and Strategy in the Middle East (in Chinese), Shishi Publishing House.
- Duan, Jiuzhou (2021). “China-Egypt Relations During the BRI Era and Beyond”. edited by Jonathan Fulton, Routledge Handbook on China-Middle East Relations, Routledge.
- Duan, Jiuzhou.(2022). “Civilizational Dilemma: The historical and social observation on Egypt’s Development Predicament”, edited by Liangmin Gao, Globe as Fieldwork: Tenth Anniversary of Area Studies in Tsinghua University (in Chinese), Commercial Press.
Publication within IIAS
- Duan, Jiuzhou. “Covid Pandemic and China-Egypt Relation”, Regional Observation (in Chinese), Vol.1, 2020.
- Duan, Jiuzhou. “East Mediterranean situation and Egypt’s geoeconomic strategy”, Regional Observation (in Chinese), Vol.3, 2020.
- Duan, Jiuzhou. “New Arab Coalition in Levant: Political Motives and Economic Prospects”, Regional Observation (in Chinese), Vol.6, 2021.
- Duan, Jiuzhou. “From Cairo to Addis Ababa: Renaissance dream of Ethiopia from plural perspectives”, Field Observation (in Chinese), Vol.3, 2021.
- Duan, Jiuzhou. “Looking Palestinian-Israeli question from Harvard: Between Campus and Field”, Field Observation (in Chinese), Vol.5, 2022.