Education: Doctoral Degree
Languages: Chinese, English, Sinhala
Research Countries/Regions: Sri Lanka, South Asia
Research Interests: Family Politics, Political Parties Studies, Sri Lankan Studies, Comparative Political Studies in South Asia
- B.A. in Sinhala Language and Literature, School of Asian and African Studies, Beijing Foreign Studies University, China.
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Department of International Relations, School of Social Sciences, Tsinghua University | Doctoral Program in Developing Country Studies, Tsinghua University, China.
- 2015-2016 Visiting Scholar and Joint PhD Student, Department of Political Science, Duke University, USA.
- 2016-2018 Visiting Scholar, Centre for Contemporary Indian Studies (CCIS), University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- He, Yan. “A Historical Comparative Analysis of Chinese-Portuguese Geographical Depiction on Sri Lanka: Before the 17th Century”. International Sinology, 2 (2021). (Peer-reviewed Journal in Chinese)
- He, Yan. “The Developmental Government and Economic Development in Sri Lanka 2005–2019: Lessons from East Asian Developmentalism”. Istanbul University Journal of Sociology, 40 (2020): 823-846.
- He, Yan. “An Analysis of the 2019 Sri Lankan Presidential Election”. South Asian Studies Quarterly, 1(2020). (Peer-reviewed Journal in Chinese)
- He, Yan. “The Puzzles of Urbanization in Sri Lanka: Perspectives from Field Notes,” in Gao Liangmin etc. (eds.), The Global as Field Site: A Ten-year Journey of Area Studies at Tsinghua University, Beijing: The Commercial Press, 2022, pp. 395-409.
- He, Yan and Huang Yao. “Impacts of Pakistan’s Political System on China-Pakistan Economic Corridor,” in Gao Bai and Zhen Zhihong (eds.), The Political Economies of China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press, 2017, pp. 23-79.
Area Observation and Commentary
- He, Yan. “Rethinking Colombo Port City: Controversies and Challenges in the New Phase of China-Sri Lanka Cooperation,” Area Observation, No.2, 2021.
- He, Yan. “Unveiling the Mystery of Jaffna Peninsula: From Bullet Holes to Modernization,” Filed Observation, No.1, 2020.
- He, Yan. “Which Way to the Future of Sri Lanka after a Biden-Harris Victory?” Area Observation, No.3, 2020.
- He, Yan. “Forming a New Order of the Political Parties: An Analysis of the Parliamentary Election of Sri Lanka in 2020,” Area Observation, No.2, 2020.
- He, Yan. “How Did Sri Lanka Fight against Covid-19 in the Context of Global Interdependence,” Area Observation, No.1, 2020.
- He, Yan. “The Local Roots and External Conditions of the Terrorist Attacks in Sri Lanka.” The Paper, last modified on April 25th, 2019. https://www.thepaper.cn/newsDetail\_forward\_3338449.
- He, Yan. “The Split from the Undercurrent: Is Sri Lanka Returning Back to Ethnic Conflict after Civil War?” The Paper, last modified on March 15th, 2018. https://www.thepaper.cn/newsDetail\_forward\_2029062.