Tenured Professor, School of Social Sciences, Tsinghua University
- PhD in Politics (Chinese and foreign political systems), Peking University School of Government, September 2007-July 2013
- Joint PhD Program, Department of Government, Harvard University, January 2011-September 2012
- Bachelor in Politics, Peking University School of Government, September 2003-July 2007
- Tenured Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, School of Social Sciences, Tsinghua University, December 2019-present
- Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, School of Social Sciences, Tsinghua University, October 2016-December 2019
- Part-time Lecturer, Schwarzman Scholars, Tsinghua University, June 2016-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, School of Social Sciences, Tsinghua University, December 2015-September 2016
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Political Science, School of Social Sciences, Tsinghua University, July 2013-October 2015
- Chinese government and politics: Government responsiveness, national social relations, welfare and distribution politics, local politics and economy
- Big data politics: Network and information politics, big data and national governance
- Methodology of political science: Computational social science, experimental politics
- Meng. Tianguang., & Yang. Zesen. Variety of Responsive Institutions and Quality of Responsiveness in Cyber China. China Review.2020.(Forthcoming)
- Zheng, Siyao & Meng, Tianguang*. The Paradox of Responsiveness and Social Protest in China. Journal of Contemporary China.2020.(online first)
- Li, Hui & Meng, Tianguang*. Corruption Experience and Public Perceptions of Anti-corruption Crackdowns: Experimental Evidence from China. Journal of Chinese Political Science.(online first)
- Li, Feng., Liu, Yang., & Meng, Tianguang*. Discursive Strategy of Opinion Expression and Government Response in China: Text Analysis Based on Online Petitions. Telematics and Informatics, 2019, 42.
- Jiang, Junyan., Meng, Tianguang., & Zhang, Qing. From Internet to social safety net: The policy consequences of online participation in China. Governance, 2019 32(3):531-546.
- Zhu, Xufeng., & Meng, Tianguang. Geographical Leadership Mobility and Policy Isomorphism Narrowing the Regional Inequality of Social Spending in China. Policy Study Journal, 2018.(online first)
- Zhang, Kaiping., & Meng, Tianguang.Political Elites in Deliberative Democracy: Beliefs and Behaviors of Chinese Officials. Japanese Journal of Political Science. 2018, 19:643-662.
- Meng, Tianguang., Pan, Jennifer., & Yang, Ping. Conditional Receptivity to Citizen Participation: Evidence From a Survey Experiment in China. Comparative Political Studies, 2017, 50(4).
- Su, Zheng., & Meng, Tianguang*. Selective responsiveness: Online public demands and government responsiveness in China. Social Science Research. 2016(59):52-67.
- Im, Dong-Kyun., & Meng, Tianguang*.The Policy-Opinion Nexus in China: Social Protection Programs and Popular Preferences for Redistribution. International Journal of Public Opinion Research. 2016(28):241-268.
- の, Qiang., & Meng, Tianguang. Funding allocation, inequality, and scientific research output: an empirical study based on the life science sector of Natural Science Foundation of China. Scientometrics. 2016. 106(2): 603-628.
- Thomas Bernauer*, Robert Gampfer, Tianguang Meng, Yu-Sung Su.Could more civil society involvement increase public support for climate policy-making? Evidence from a survey experiment in China. Global Environmental Change 2016 (40): 1-12.
- Meng. Tianguang., & Chen. He*. Multilevel analysis of social capital and self-rated health: Evidence from China. Health & Place. 2014 (27): 38-44.
- Meng Tianguang. Re-visiting Responsive Government: Diversity and Institutional Performance of Internet Inquiry System [J]. Social Sciences in China, 2019, 40 (4): 148-172.
- Meng Tianguang & Zhao Juan. Internet Search Behaviors and Public Attention in the Era of Big Data: Dynamic Analysis based on Baidu Index from 2011 to 2017 (大数据时代网络搜索行为与公共关注度:基于2011-2017年百度指数的动态分析) [J]. Xuehai, 2019 (03): 41-48.
- Meng Tianguang. Big Data Methods and Causal Inference from the Perspective of Political Science (政治科学视角下的大数据方法与因果推论) [J]. Political Science Research, 2018 (03): 29-38.
- Meng Tianguang & Ning Jing. Political Consequences of Internet "Depoliticization"-An Empirical Study Based on Generalized Tendency Value Matching (互联网“去政治化”的政治后果——基于广义倾向值匹配的实证研究) [J]. Exploration, 2018 (03): 63-76.
- Meng Tianguang & Zhao Juan. Network-driven Responsive Government: System Diffusion and Operation Model of Network Politics (网络驱动的回应性政府:网络问政的制度扩散及运行模式) [J]. Journal of Shanghai Institute of Administration, 2018, 19 (03): 36-44.
- Meng Tianguang & Zhang Xiaojin. Big Data Drive and Improvement of Government Governance Ability:Theoretical Framework and Model Innovation (大数据驱动与政府治理能力提升——理论框架与模式创新) [J]. Journal of Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Social Science Edition), 2018, 31 (01): 18-25.
- Li Hui & Meng Tianguang. Corruption Experience and Perception: Double Test Based on Investigation Experiment and Direct Questioning (腐败经历与腐败感知:基于调查实验与直接提问的双重检验) [J]. Society, 2017, 37 (06): 194-215.
- Meng Tianguang & Li Feng.Government Quality and Political Trust: Hypothesis of Performance Legitimacy and Institutional Legitimacy (政府质量与政治信任:绩效合法性与制度合法性的假说) [J]. Journal of Jiangsu Institute of Administration, 2017 (6): 99-108.
- Zhang Xiaojin & Meng Tianguang. On the Origin, Development and Innovation Paradigm of Computational Social Science (论计算社会科学的缘起、发展与创新范式) [J]. Theoretical Exploration, 2017, (06): 33-38.
- Meng Tianguang. From Causal Effect to Causal Mechanism: China's Path to Experimental Politics (从因果效应到因果机制:实验政治学的中国路径) [J]. Exploration, 2017, (05): 30-38.
- Meng Tianguang & Zheng Siyao. Information, Communication and Influence: New Government Media in Network Governance – Exploration Combining Big Data and Small Data Analysis (信息、传播与影响:网络治理中的政府新媒体——结合大数据与小数据分析的探索) [J]. Public Administration Review, 2017, 10 (01): 29-52.
- Meng Tianguang & Ji Chengyuan. Re-visiting Digital Democracy: Internet Intervention and Internet Political Participation – Discoveries Based on Enumerative Experiments (重访数字民主:互联网介入与网络政治参与——基于列举实验的发现) [J]. Journal of Tsinghua University (Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition), 2016, 31 (04): 43-54.
- Meng Tianguang & Tian Dong. Mass Line and Modernization of National Governance – Theoretical Analysis and Empirical Discovery (群众路线与国家治理现代化——理论分析与经验发现) [J]. Political Science Research, 2016, (03): 25-35.
- Meng Tianguang, Su Zheng & Yang Ping.Citizen Opinions and Local Financial Decision-making in Transition China – Based on a Survey of Local Governments (转型中国的公民意见与地方财政决策——基于对地方政府的调查实验) [J]. Journal of Public Administration, 2015, 12 (03): 57-68.
- Meng Tianguang & Li Feng. Political Interaction in Cyberspace: Citizens' Appeals and Government Responsiveness – Big Data Analysis Based on National Cyberpolitics Platform (网络空间的政治互动:公民诉求与政府回应性——基于全国性网络问政平台的大数据分析) [J]. Journal of Tsinghua University (Philosophy and Social Sciences Edition), 2015, 30 (03): 17-29.
- Meng Tianguang & Su Zheng. "Peer Effect" and "Neighbor Effect": Political Logic of Non-tax Revenue Expansion in Prefecture-level Cities (“同侪效应”与“邻居效应”:地级市非税收入规模膨胀的政治逻辑) [J]. Comparison of Economic and Social Systems, 2015, (02): 165-176.
- Meng Tianguang & Guo Fenglin. Big Data Politics: Political Phenomena in the New Information Age and Its Analysis Path (大数据政治学:新信息时代的政治现象及其探析路径) [J]. Foreign Theoretical Trends, 2015, (01): 46-56.
- Meng Tianguang & Chen Hao.Inequality, Poverty and Grassroots Democracy in Rural Areas: An Empirical Study Based on 400 Villages in China (不平等、贫困与农村基层民主——基于全国400个村庄的实证研究) [J]. Journal of Public Administration, 2014, 11 (02): 129-138.
- Meng Tianguang. Political Trust in China in Transition: Empirical Measurement and Overall Survey (转型期的中国政治信任:实证测量与全貌概览) [J]. Journal of Central China Normal University (Humanities and Social Sciences Edition), 2014, 53 (02): 1-10.
- Meng Tianguang. Public's Sense of Distributive Fairness in China in Transition: Outcome Fairness and Opportunity Fairness (转型期中国公众的分配公平感:结果公平与机会公平) [J]. Society, 2012, 32 (06): 108-134.
- Meng Tianguang & Yang Ming. Objective Governance Performance and Political Trust of County-level Governments in China in Transition: From “Legitimacy of Economic Growth" to "Legitimacy of Public Goods” (转型期中国县级政府的客观治理绩效与政治信任——从“经济增长合法性”到“公共产品合法性”) [J]. Comparison of Economic and Social Systems, 2012, (04): 122-135.
- Meng Tianguang & Ma Junjun. Research on the Relationship between Social Capital and Citizen Participation Consciousness: An Empirical Analysis Based on National Representative Samples (社会资本与公民参与意识的关系研究——基于全国代表性样本的实证分析) [J]. China Administration, 2011, (03): 107-111.
- Chief Scientist, Research on Intelligent Social Governance System Based on Big Data (Major Project of the National Social Science Foundation), 2018
- Lead Participant, Research on Improving Government Governance Capability Driven by Big Data (Major Project of the National Social Science Foundation), 2016
- Research on Government Quality Evaluation System and Promotion Path from the Perspective of Governance Capability (National Social Science Foundation Project), 2015
- Research on Digital Government Transformation and Modernization of Governance Capability (commissioned by the Central Network Information Office), 2019
- Research on Evaluation of Public Opinion Governance on Big Data Network (commissioned by the Central Network Information Office), 2015
- Research on the Application System of Intelligent Social Governance in Megacities (in partnership with Beijing Municipal Government Service Administration), 2020
- Research on Application of Big Data in Social Governance (Beijing Science and Technology Plan), 2018
- Research on the Application System of Intelligent Social Governance in Megacities (in partnership with Beijing Municipal Government Service Administration), 2019
- Research on Social Health Index (commissioned by Beijing Petition Office), 2018
- Research on Urban Decision Support System Based on Big Data (National Development and Reform Commission & Institute for China Sustainable Urbanization, Tsinghua University), 2017
- Research on Intelligent Social Governance System Based on Big Data (Tsinghua University), 2016
- Research on Governance Mechanism of Government Network Public Opinion Based on Big Data (Youth Project of Beijing Natural Science Foundation), 2014
- Research on Network Public Opinion Guidance Mechanism and Effect in Big Data Era (General Project of Beijing Social Science Foundation), 2015
- Research on the Construction of Capital Service-oriented Government in the Era of Big Data (Talents Funding Project of Beijing Association of Social Sciences Social Science), 2015
- Research on Urban Governance Model in New Urbanization Period (Think Tank Research Project of Data Center of Management Science, NSFC-PKU), 2016
- Theoretical Review and Empirical Evaluation of Government Quality in Governance Transition (China Postdoctoral Science Foundation Project), 2014
Honors & Awards
- 1st Prize of Young Teachers for Outstanding Achievements in Social Research in Beijing Universities, 2016
- Outstanding Young Talents by Beijing Natural Science Foundation, 2017
- 2nd Prize for Outstanding Achievement Award in Philosophy and Social Sciences in Shanghai, 2018
- The 4th Parkson-Tsinghua Journal Outstanding Papers Award, 2017
- Author of Important Reprints of Journal Materials by Renmin University of China, 2019
- Outstanding Party Building and Ideological and Political Worker at Tsinghua University (Party Branch Secretary), 2019
- Advanced Worker at Tsinghua University, 2018
- Double Leaders Teacher of Party Branch Secretary Studio at Tsinghua University, 2018
- 3rd Prize of the 8th Young Teachers' Teaching Contest at Tsinghua University (Liberal Arts Ideological and Political Group), 2018
- Academic Newcomer Award at Tsinghua University, 2017
- Zhongying Young Scholar at Tsinghua University, 2016
- Outstanding Postdoctoral Fellow at Tsinghua University, 2015
- Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award at Tsinghua University, 2013